Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 31- Seek and Find

Month #1, COMPLETE!!!!  31 days, 31 crafts and I still have ideas!!! :)

So, last month, I saw Seek and Finds done in a VOSS water bottle.  I have been looking since December for a PLASTIC VOSS bottle or a plastic bottle with a similar cap style.  The special thing about VOSS bottles is that the neck is wide, so you can fit a lot of bigger things in it.  Well, all I was finding was glass VOSS bottles, or glass bottles with wide necks, but nothing that was tall, skinny-ish, and plastic. So, while I looked, I planned.

In preparation for the seek and Find craft, Iris and I dyed rice last week or 2 weeks ago.  We had a lot of fun, and she was such a huge helper!  Dying rice is exactly like dying pasta.  A Tablespoon of rubbing alcohol and a LOT of food coloring.  I have decided that i like about 35-40 drops, WAAAYYY more than the 5-10 recommended, but the more coloring, the darker the color!  And, I looked for a bottle everywhere I went.

Yesterday, I found plastic VOSS water bottles at Mustard Seed.  So I quickly sucked up the 1.79 for a bottle of water and bought THREE, just in case!... btw, the water tasted like plastic- YUCK.  And today, the girls and I went on a scavenger hunt for small things to put in the water bottles.  We ended up with a myriad of small items... safety pins, dice, scrabble pieces, Yahtzee markers (why do you need markers for Yahtzee anyway???), some misc old jewelry pieces, marbles, googly eyes (obviously), beads, little figurines the girls got a few months ago, hair ties, rubber bands, etc etc etc.  I bet we ended up with close to 25-30 unique things to put in the bottles.  I split everything evenly, and the girls each got to put their things in the bottles.  
(I HATE BLOGGER PHOTO EDITING!!!!!!  I cannot get these two pictures to change places, I give up.. once again)
Once everything was in the bottles, we pulled out the rice and a funnel and I let the girls pick the colored rice they wanted to put in, let them pour the rice (with some help) into the funnel and we filled the bottles up (a little under 2 inches from the top).  Remember to keep some empty space in the bottle if you decide to do this at home with your kids because if you don't get enough room, your pieces won't mix up very well... well, not at all actually haha... I learned that the hard way.





To finish it off, I just hot glued the lids to the bottles and voila!  Seek and Finds!  And the girls were SOOO excited to show Mike when he got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment