Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 10- 355 more to go!

I can't say that I am disappointed at the way the Macaroni Art turned out today, we had fun, it turned out nice.  But I am missing my camera :(  So no pictures of today's projects, yet.
Mike and I stayed up late last night dying pasta.  I looked up a few "recipes" online before I did this.  Most Pinterest suggestions stated "pasta, enough rubbing alcohol to make the noodles wet, and some food coloring"  Well, I am a little more technical than that, I need to have EXACT directions before I try something for the first time.  I finally found a blog that suggested 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol and 4-5 drops of food coloring.  We tried red and purple first and blue, and they turned out more like Easter egg pink, a grey color, and tealish green... honestly, good Easter colors haha.  Obviously, we needed more food coloring, the Orange, Yellow, and Green look awesome, I think I put about 10 drops of coloring in each of those bags.
I was hoping to string it as bracelets/necklaces today, but the macaroni noodles were just too small, and WAY too curvy (I guess that is what I get for buying store brand haha).  So, we glued it on paper instead.  Iris was infatuated with my pattern, she kept telling me tonight that she wished I could teach her how to do what I did.  It really isn't all that fancy, but it is flattering, and I guess to an almost 4 year old, very impressive.  Penny had a lot of fun with them, she kept telling me she couldn't eat them... probably better, all that Yellow whatever # would probably give her massive ADHD lol.  Bowties and spirals don't adhere well with glue stick-- you know, since i haven't had a chance to buy more white glue since I used the last of ours on the horrible slime failure.  (Btw, that slime managed to leak out of the bag I had it in and onto the stove... and DRIED, what a mess!  ugh!!!  It has sense been thrown in the trash.)  So, I brought out the glue gun again (which Penny calls Blue instead of Glue and it is very cute, though can be slightly confusing depending on the project), and stealthily glued Penny's noodles onto her page in the same order in which she laid them down.  No freaking out, it was a success in my book!
Because my stringing idea didn't work with the pasta I bought this past week, today, Penny and I went to the grocery store and bought every type of Pasta that we could that had a hole in it.  Ditalini, Rigatoni,  Ziti, and Wagon Wheels.  I plan on doing some more pasta dying in the very near future, hopefully with neon colors, and a LOT more red and blue!  But, for now, on to the next project.  Time to round up all of our toilet paper and paper towel rolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment