Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 25- Birthday Cakes

Well, We are coming close to the end of Birthday Theme week.  Tomorrow, we won't be doing a birthday craft, we will be at the Children's Museum in Pittsburgh, BUT they have an amazing craft room.  I am really looking forward to going in there with the girls being a year older.  They LOVE the museum and I have been anticipating this day since I decided to do "Craft Year".  There are SO many crafts there that we are going to have a blast.  I can promise, MANY pictures tomorrow.  I will have a hard time picking which to use, I am sure!

So, back to today.  I wanted to make foam cupcakes, but Iris informed me "We already did cupcakes this week!" so, we made foam birthday cakes.

Supplies:

1) craft foam
2) glue

Can't be much easier than that, right?

I know that the girls are so into Princesses right now, that I bought blue foam, pink and white glitter foam, and princess themed stickers.  How much more princess could we get???? Ok, well, I guess I could have gotten purple foam instead of blue haha.  But, It worked better to use the blue foam because the princess themed stuff would have been really hard to see on top of purple "cake".

I simply cut a piece of foam in half, then made icing out of the white glitter foam.  And let the girls go.  They both practiced using Elmer's glue today, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well Penny did.  Iris was a little heavy handed and had a lot of glops of glue.  When I give Penny a blank canvas, she has a blast, as you can see, she still loves to "color" and "marker."  At a certain point, I just say "go for it kid" and let her be.

Iris really enjoyed putting stickers on her cake.  She wanted to cover the ENTIRE thing in stickers, but I finally, after a LOT of convincing, talked her into leaving it like it is because it would be too hard see what she put on it if she covered it ALL in stickers.  I love the top of it, she insists that it is "Santa" it isn't "santa's house" or "the north pole" it is "Santa" :)  I love my kiddos so much!


On a side note, I picked up Iris' birthday cake tonight, and OMG!  I hope that we have an ARMY coming to her birthday because this cake weighs about 25 pounds!!!!!  Tomorrow's blog will be late because we have a CRAZY day planned!



No comments:

Post a Comment