Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 20- Countdown to Birthday!


I saw the idea for today's craft MONTHS ago on Pinterest, and was saving it for a birthday week.  Well, Iris' birthday is the first birthday of the year, so we got to try it with her today.  These could be the EASIEST birthday cupcakes ever!  Someone with NO cooking skills at all could make these in no time at all.

Here is my supply list for today:
2 1/2 inch styrofoam balls
cupcake wrappers
hot glue
glitter glue (more on that later)
pom poms

So, first thing first: glue a styrofoam ball into the cupcake wrapper.  Iris chose fancy swirly ones @ Jo-Ann's today for $2.99.  And I still have 30 left over for REAL cupcakes!









Next, I mixed glitter glue using some basic Elmer's Glue and glitter.  I think ours was too thick, it was a little hard to paint on with paint brushes, but it worked.  I looked up a "recipe" for glitter glue tonight and it says to use Modge-Podge.  Maybe that would be a little easier, thinner, with Modge-Podge.  But, our way worked, it dried well, and you can see the glittery colors on the styrofoam, so i'll call that a success.

Then, we painted the "frosting" on the "cupcakes".  Once that part was done, we topped them with "cherries."  

 My goal is to attach a string/fishing line to them and hanging them from the holiday tree in the girls' room.  I can't figure out the best way to make them into ornaments, so I am still debating on that, but It was fun.  Mike even got to craft with us today and everyone really got to be creative and have fun with the cupcakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment