Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Day 57: Egg Carton Penguin Chicks


Well, I came up with this BRILLIANT idea of making Penguins from egg cartons.  It sounded really easy in my head.  I mean, how hard could it REALLY be?  Well, those are the famous last thoughts of an overzealous crafting mom!



First, you need to cut the egg carton apart- we use cardboard... they you have to glue them together so that it makes an egg shape.  Convenient right?  As I was standing in the office (we have one of those now haha), trying to hot glue the pieces together without hot gluing my fingers, i thought "You know, it is almost Easter time, I bet every craft store in the state has wooden easter eggs, that would work a LOT better than this!" but alas, I stood there, gluing egg cartons together and thankfully, not gluing myself!

So, I ended up with this egg shape... really should have taken pictures of each step this time... and I let the girls go with black paint.  Penny and I painted the whole penguin black, Iris only painted the top of hers black.  We let them dry, then added "bellies" to them with white.  Well, Penny ended up with the rare, Cow Speckled Penguin, and Iris ended up with an equally rare, Gray Breasted Penguin because she decided that she should mix the white and black paint together as she painted the bottom.



So, now we have our penguins, we let them dry, cut out some beaks and little black wings, a little bit of Elmer's glue, and voila!  Penguin Chicks!  (they are actually pretty cute, imo... but then again, what penguin ISN'T cute????)

No comments:

Post a Comment