Saturday, February 16, 2013

Day 47: Felt Mobile


So, today, I decided that I wanted to make a craft that I have been sitting on the back burner for almost 3 weeks. I have been holding off because I KNEW that it would be incredibly time intensive, and it hasn't been something I've really wanted to bring upon myself.  That being said, I am usually more adventurous and able to tackle much bigger projects when Mike is home and able to help control three kids!

I heard about this project in Handwork at Iris' school last month, and I thought "oh, what a cute idea!  I could easily make this with the girls."  I ended up cutting 9 hearts of different sizes and colors, and a bunch of  white clouds out of felt.  Mike and I worked as fast as possible whip stitching the sides together so that we could stuff them with batting.

I figured that this would help with fine motor skills for both girls.  Penny tends to give up easily when things are difficult, so I am happy that she at least tried to stuff the pieces and with some help she did really well.  Iris, of course, took right too it and managed to stuff all of her hearts and clouds in a matter of minutes.

I haven't had a chance to help the girls sew their hearts and clouds shut yet... well, at least most of them, I started helping Penny sew the clouds shut.  I would get the needle started, then had her push the needle through the fabric, then once it was through, I would flip it over and she would pull the needle and thread through the rest of the way.


Tomorrow, I am going to use fishing line and hangers and help the girls make mobiles for their rooms.  Hopefully it helps Penny sleep better.  I am seriously thinking about making a dream catcher for one craft.....

No comments:

Post a Comment