Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day 43: Valentine Inspired Mardi Gras Masks

So, February has already proved to be difficult for "Valentine" themed crafts.  We have had interruptions due to birthdays and, now, Mardi Gras.  When I thought of Mardi Gras a few weeks ago, I instantly thought about how fun it would be to make Mardi Gras masks with the girls.  But, we've been trying to keep a Valentine theme as well.  So, while I was at Hobby Lobby last week, I was looking for feathers for their masks, and I stumbled upon pink and purple feathers and thought "BRILLIANT!" what better way to celebrate Mardi Gras right before Valentine's Day than to use pink and purple feathers to make the masks?

So, my supply list today included a pack of masks (1.99/3), a pack of pink and purple feathers, some glue, and of course, sequin.  Mike actually ended up being the main crafter today because I was busy making dinner after a long day out with the girls... so long, that when the woman at Caribou asked me if i needed anything else I came very close to saying, "You don't sell anything here strong enough for me right now!" but I bit my tongue and graciously accepted my small Turtle Mocha and enjoyed EVERY sip of it lol.

Conveniently, Mike was home in time for craft, so he made a Valentine Mardi Gras mask for me, and Iris made one for herself.  Penny wanted nothing to do with craft until AFTER we were done.  Then she wanted to make craft with us, of course, maybe tomorrow while we are finishing up our school Valentine's and such, I will let Penny make her own mask.  The masks are really quite straight forward, I don't think that you can make a "wrong" mask, but, with glue and a 4 year old, what really worked for us is working in small sections at a time with Mike spreading the glue out with a paint brush to evenly spread the glue around.  Everything stuck, as you can tell, and it turned out perfectly.  On to craft # 44 tomorrow!  (almost halfway to one hundred :) )

I am really have issues with picture quality.  If i take pictures in the dining room, they randomly flip sideways.... if i take them in the living room, they turn out ORANGE.  I am just not meant to be a photographer. :(

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute......great idea....job well done....

    ReplyDelete