Friday, May 17, 2013

Days 135 and 136: Turtles

I saw this idea on Pinterest (i think?) a few days ago.  Basically, you take an oval roaster, paint it green and turn it into a turtle shell.  Well, i decided to take it one step further and make turtle masks as well.  The girls LOVED them.  Iris wants to wear hers for Halloween.  Let me tell you, if she still wants to wear this in October, it will be a $2 craft WELL worth it!!!!

All in all, it was a very easy craft, just LONG.  First, we had to paint the "shells" green, which by far took the longest.  Do NOT attempt a craft like this on carpet, I am SO thankful that we have hardwood because not only did Iris knock her paint on the floor and I had to clean it up, but Penny dropped hers on the ground and instead of picking it up or telling me, she stepped in it and walked all over the dinning room/kitchen!  Gah, that child sometimes!!!

One the shells were dry, I used a small pairing knife and cut hols on the side walls for ribbon to go through.  Then I simply fed the ribbon through and tied a knot to keep it in place- instant turtle shell!!

Part two of this craft was to make the turtle masks.  They were simple, but time consuming, green construction paper and an accent color for the bandanna.  Iris chose red, Penny chose Orange- after they both originally asked for Pink, go figure! Simply cut out an oval face, draw a smile and a nose with black marker, then glue the bandanna across where the eyes will go, cut out eye holes and punch a small hole for some string to hold it on.  Tie a knot in your string and done! I am not an artist, so the masks are a little um, wonky if you will.  Maybe I'll enlist Garvin next time I need to do something like this :-p

Penny wanted to wear her shell to bed tonight, i think it was a hit! haha




No comments:

Post a Comment