Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 132: Train Track Balls

Yup, you read that right.  Train Track Balls.  I am not expecting it to make any sense to anyone, because it doesn't make sense to me, but I feel like this was a HUGE breakthrough for us today.  For at least three days now, Iris has been asking to make Train Track Balls for craft and every day, Mike and I say "what the heck is that?" well, today, Iris asked again.  So I asked her "What do you need to make train track balls?" and she took me to the craft room, and this is how the conversation went:
Iris- Well, a small white circle ball that is in the drawer
Me- You mean a Styrofoam ball?
Iris- Yes, and beads
Me- Square or circle?
Iris- Square.  And we need glue

So, I gathered the supplies and she took me straight to the table and told me that we had to cover the ball in glue and put beads on it.  Well, as you may or may not know, Elmer's glue and styrofoam do not agree very well.  So, we tried that for awhile and the beads would NOT stick.  I ended up giving up for about five minutes, then I decided that I would wrap the ball in paper, glue the paper to the ball and let Iris glue the beads to the paper.  Well, that worked!

Iris took a lot of pride in this one, she used a small paintbrush to paint thin lines of glue on the paper wrapped styrofoam ball, and pressed each bead into the glue so that it stuck well.  This is what we ended up with when it was time for dinner.  I really think that she would have sat there and covered the entire ball with beads if i gave her the time.

But in short, this is a Train Track Ball, created, and executed all by my 4 year old daughter.

1 comment:

  1. This article is great. I really find this creative craft great for kids. This train track ball is incredible for a 4-year old kid. This idea is indeed so brilliant.

    -SmoothFoam.com

    ReplyDelete