Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 145: Butterflies

Our Caterpillars metamorphosed into butterflies today.  It took me about 5 minutes to figure out exactly how to do it, but sitting down at the table with the caterpillars I figured out that I could turn the pieces into a butterfly.

To do this, i needed more egg cartons- another 14 egg holders actually... thankfully, we have about 20 egg cartons under the sink :-p

Once i had the egg cups separated, I poked "body" holes in the tops of 5 cups.  Then, on the sides of 8, i poked holes to feed pipe cleaners through.

After all this was done, Mike helped Penny and I helped Iris, we started by hooking a pipe cleaner to the antenna of the caterpillar's head on the inside, then we fed 2 body pieces onto the pipe cleaner (see picture for better understanding).  Then, we wrapped 2 pipe cleaners around the main body pipe cleaner to make "wings" we fed the wing pieces on, 2 per each wing.  I just made a little loopy thing at the edges so that the wings didn't fall back off.  To finish it off, we fed the last three body pieces onto the body pipe cleaner and tied it off- i like the little swoopy tail that mike did more than my loopy thing lol.  But, here are the caterpillar turned butterflies!  OH! right, we also glued new pom-poms to the wings that didn't have any :-p  I almost forgot about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment