Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day 114: Cookies!

Today, I decided that it was time to venture into the world of cookie crafts.  I have this old Cookies For Kids cookbook that I have used since I was little, and I knew that there was a recipe for these really cute, very bright, make your own cookies.  Well, we tried that recipe, and it was AWFUL!  It was a disgusting, sticky mess, and I just couldn't imagine trying to have the kids work with it, so we went with a recipe for SPELL-it- Cookies.  They are just a very simple sugar cookie recipe that you roll into thin snakes and make letters with.  I ended up combining the basics of both recipes to make colored sugar cookies.

I was really impressed that the girls really ended up enjoying making cookies so much.  Iris made spirals, she made a LOT of mashed circles.  Penny enjoyed making semi snakes.. she was so proud of herself.  I didn't have the heart to redo many of their cookies, but the ones that were just too thin from them smashing them too much, i ended up making 2 layer cookies out of :-p

I added the smiley face pieces, the caterpillar pieces, the braids, and I made the letters for us, but other than that, the girls did it all themselves... and they even taste good!


No comments:

Post a Comment