Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day 108: Sidewalk Paint

1 part corn starch
1 part water
food coloring (neon works really really well!)

Easy, I love easy crafts.  I especially love crafts that the "mess" is outside!  We mixed this inside, the girls mixed the food coloring into the muffin pan and we headed outside with a plethora of paint brushes (and our homemade chalk).

It was a little infuriating to color with chalk paint.  It takes a really long time, but when it dries, it looks AMAZING.  I am wondering if it will ever come off our driveway though.  I am thinking it may take an act of nature to dump enough rain on our driveway to clean it.  It looks like someone painted our driveway.  In the future, I will make these in small cups with lids so that we can save them and not wash it down the drain when we're done.  They are pretty, and I wish that my kids had more patience, because I could have sat and colored the entire driveway with them!





I was really happy with how well our homemade chalk colored as well.  I took a picture of the different yellows side by side.  The one that we did with actual acrylic paint was much darker, and I feel, colored nicer.  However, it would have been totally unreasonable to do ALL of our chalks with acrylic because it had to be SO wet, and it did dry funky too.  But, it has a really nice look to it.

BTW, with the chalk paint, you can use sponge brushes, i think that it may go on easier, but the sidewalk rips the sponges to pieces, so have a lot on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment